Faculty of Liberal Arts (FLA)
The ICFAI University Tripura is an institution of excellence, recognised for the academic calibre and versatility of its educational programmes. The ‘Faculty of Liberal Arts’, offers courses along broad disciplinary lines in Literature, Economics, Linguistics, English, Philosophy, Psychology, Policy Studies, Sociology, Art, Music, Gender Studies, Theatre and Foreign Languages. The department profoundly follows the Liberal Arts education system by familiarizing students with broader social, cultural, economic, ethical and humane concerns during the courses of study.
The Department presently offers a comprehensive and stimulating introduction to English language and literature through its campus-based, full time MA-English program of 2 years duration and BA-English (Hons) program of 3 years duration. Both the programs explore how the language ‘English’ is used in a variety of global contexts, since one gets to explore writing and speech in a wide range of forms. The programs also aim to be both an inspirational and aspirational forum cultivating a lively intellectual environment within which a student can test their ideas, germinate sophisticated critical approaches and build interpretative, analytical and compositional skills that will have a lasting impact on their intellectual and professional life wherever the future takes them.
The ‘Faculty of Liberal Arts’ department draws faculties and students from different fields and diverse backgrounds placing the different courses at the intersection of liberal learning. Theoretical and interpretive approaches on social texts and traditions provide a broad range of interdisciplinary perspectives to the courses being offered. The BA-English (H) & MA-English programs are designed for students whose interests lie in multidisciplinary areas. Students are always supported to generate new discourses with contemporary focus on wide variety of areas while gaining rigorous training in reading, writing, speaking, and thinking critically in multiple languages.
Following the concept of Liberal Arts, the Department is already seen as having a range of exciting scholarly activities following the experiential learning process, promoting and supporting multidisciplinary work of the kind, Co-curricular activities developing wellness and aesthetic sensitivity; guidance and mentoring by faculty and professionals, thereby contributing to expanding the frontiers of knowledge in Liberal Arts.
Benefits of studying
- Preparation for work in a variety of sectors: Students will gain a strong foundation in a wide range of subjects compared to the ones specializing in a single subject
- Introduction to career choices: Students get introduced to subjects they may not have otherwise encountered, enabling them to make a more informed decision while choosing their preferred career path.
- Stepping stone to other careers: The knowledge achieved can help a student to better manoeuvre themselves out of their current career into another.
- Degrees in Humanities & Social Sciences are appealing to employers: Employers recognize that graduates of such disciplines have the necessary transferable skills to adapt to a changing workplace.
- Provides foundation for higher study in diverse fields: A potential graduate of BA-English (H) or MA-English program will have the ability to learn across diverse field of studies and move into higher learning in any subject of their choice.
- Provide skills to become a valuable community member: The innovative pedagogy and skill-based education extends beyond academia to give graduates the necessary qualities that enable them to adapt & thrive in the competitive world, communicate effectively with other members of the community and have a broadened perspective.
- Academia: The interdisciplinary knowledge and skills gained, will lend an extra dimension when a student explores, researches and/or teaches a chosen subject.
- Education: With pursuing additional qualification to become a teacher, students can use their breadth of knowledge to teach wider range of subjects.
- Art: Photography, commercial art, painting, interior designing, graphic & visual design.
- Interpreter: The knowledge of a foreign language helps students to become qualified translators, transcribers or interpreters, foreign language teachers/journalist and work for tourism & travel industry.
- Marketing: Media & advertising, promotions, public relations, journalism, publishing, news editing, copywriting, content writing and many others.
- Policy Studies: Careers in this field include law, public policy, civil & administrative services, politics, business, working for NGOs and charities.
- Other Career paths: Event Planning, banking, fashion, business management, environmentalism, healthcare, computing and archive studies, research analysis and social services (counselling or therapy)
- Analytical, Evaluative, Critical & creative thinking skills
- Effective Oral & Written Communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to learn & synthesize new ideas
- Effective research skills
- Organization & time management skills
- Ethical decision making skills
- Ability to work in teams
- Self confidence and understanding
- Ability to be sensitive to others and be tolerant of cultural differences
- Foreign Language Skills & Cross cultural knowledge
The Department is led by a young band of dedicated faculty members who keep pace with the current developments in their fields of specialization. The ‘Faculty of Liberal Arts’ is committed to create socially responsible, critically thinking professionals who will accelerate growth in the new era of economic liberalization and globalization.